Subhead

Beheading the Archbishop of Banterbury with the righteous sword of shouty, poetic activism

Monday 13 April 2015

Banter Culture at work: the laughter of the entitled

Regarding this Paul Mason article - I can't help but be reminded of how much my rage at Banter Culture relates to things I've seen and experienced in workplaces. People I've worked with,  and for, customers I've dealt with. The laughter of the entitled.

And thinking of laughter makes me think about that Stewart Lee line about comedy and status, how most mainstream comedy these days is millionaires in suits giggling about their class inferiors. And who can afford to spend money on tickets to those big comedy gigs anyway? A safe bet you'll see no maids there, no-one left out of the charmed circle of the McIntyre set. But.

There are a LOT of us on the outside of that charmed circle, outside of the banter, the laughter you share. And one day, we'll show you OUR idea of fun.

Switch off the laugh-track. Listen. And you WILL hear us howl.

No comments:

Post a Comment